Our 3D Panel Capabilities
In the age of increasing dependence on technology, smartphones and flat screens, people are appreciating more than ever the views of what is around them that are three-dimensional, tactile and obviously real, as opposed to virtual or digital.
This appreciation of what is real may include going to a shopping centre and seeing, touching and experiencing items in-store instead of online shopping, meeting people face to face for communication and interaction instead of through social media, to going for a walk in a park and experiencing the sight, sounds and smells of trees, flowers and grass - connecting with nature.
Biophilic design is an industry movement that has encouraged the use of more natural or organic forms, as opposed to rectangular and square shapes - integrating the form and character of the natural world to create more natural spaces.
Architects have realised these trends in interior design and the positive effects on human well-being and a sense of place, and accordingly, are developing more and more designs with substantial depth to them.
This biophilic design opportunity presents itself mostly with respect to ceiling decoration, where a high ceiling or double-height space gives plenty of space for expression in this area, feature walls in atriums, foyers and auditoriums- but also in furniture design where curves and other unusual shapes are introduced, or deeply textured finishes that are characteristic of our 3D wall tiles and 3D ceiling panels.
SUPAWOOD has developed an extensive range of 3D panel products to assist architects in forming this three-dimensional landscape for both interior and exterior surfaces.
You might already know some SUPAWOOD products with substantial depth inherent in their design, for example, WAVE BLADES, WAFFLE BLADES, SUPATILE 3D and SUPACOUSTIC NCK Sawtooth.
What you may not know, however, is that SUPAWOOD will also assist in creating more depth out of our “flatter” products by creating curvature, staggering or layering.
We do this by supplying or designing framing that juts down from a ceiling or out from a wall to give an extraordinary feeling of depth or shape to a room or lining - Supawood’s 3D ceiling tiles and 3D wall panels add exceptional aesthetics without compromising on performance.
How SUPAWOOD supplies or designs three-dimensional framing
SUPAWOOD has found it necessary to supply or design three-dimensional framing for contractors and builders due to these reasons:
- With shrinking timeframes on many construction programs, installers often do not have time to build complicated framing modules on site.
- When the joints between panels are very tight, as in a butt or mitred joint, the tolerance of onsite framing is not sufficient to achieve these joins, and any attempt to do so will lead to disaster.
- Pre-programmed CNC-shaped fins and framing modules are more cost-effective and reliable than framing similar structures on-site.
SUPAWOOD has a few different ways of supplying a fixing system that integrates with a 3-D frame, which we will discuss in more detail later.
Once an enquiry for a 3-D fixing and framing system has progressed to a certain point, we will build a prototype and/ or supply a detailed drawing in three dimensions, which shows how the support framing will be supplied and built.
In some cases, we will develop the design with the architect and supply the architect with the necessary 3-D CAD files so that these can be incorporated into the architect’s own drawings.
What types of 3-D framing does SUPAWOOD supply?
Broadly speaking, there are three types of three-dimensional framing that SUPAWOOD supplies. We will list them in order of cost, from most economical to most expensive:
- Loose framing components for fixing on site to conventional steel framing. In the example shown below, CNC-shaped ribs are supplied to the site and are fixed to furring channels at regular intervals. A jig is supplied to ensure even spacing of these ribs, as the spacing will affect the overall shape of the ceiling. Panels are then fixed to these ribs, generally using a Supawood concealed fixing system. Supacoustic NCK Sawtooth is an example of this type of framing system.
2. Loose framing components are supplied with notches. These notches allow the shaped framing components to be interlocked and assembled on-site into a complete module of a precise shape and tolerance. These modules are then suspended or fixed to a wall. Panels are fixed to the modules on site either before or after fixing the ceiling or wall.
3. Panels are supplied to the site pre-fixed to 3-dimensional framing assembled in our factory. This makes for the fastest install time but increases packaging and transport costs.
SUPATILE 3D is an example of this type of framing system.
Budget pricing for pre-assembled framing or framing components varies from $250 to $1,000 per panel. Note that in addition to costs being affected by the type of framing supplied as described above, costs are also affected by these factors:
- Panel tolerances. The tighter the panel joints, the less construction and installation tolerance, which increases costs.
- Number of types of panels. Building multiple panels that are all the same costs a lot less than building multiple panels that are all different to each other.
What special situations can SUPAWOOD help with?
SUPAWOOD can help with virtually any 3-dimensional challenge you might have to face. For example:
3D shapes with curves, or twisted panels:
We would love to help you with your next project. If you have a challenge right now that you would like us to help you with, please contact us here.
More 3D project links for your interest:
Disclaimer: All the information on this website - www.supawood.com.au - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. Supawood does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (Supawood), is strictly at your own risk. Supawood will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.
From our website, you can visit other websites by following hyperlinks to such external sites. While we strive to provide only quality links to useful and ethical websites, we have no control over the content and nature of these sites. These links to other websites do not imply a recommendation for all the content found on these sites. Site owners and content may change without notice and may occur before we have the opportunity to remove a link that may have failed.
Consent: By using our website, you hereby consent to our disclaimer and agree to its terms.