As an installer or builder, thorough preparation when it comes to installing wall and ceiling finishes such as feature wall panelling or acoustic timber ceiling systems is just as important as any other final finishing on the job site.
With so many details to consider, it can be difficult to ensure that you have everything covered before installation.
To help you overcome the challenges that can prolong installation times, we've put together a series of questions that will help guide your preparation and predetermine any possible barriers or adjustments that need to happen before installation.
Considerations and questions to ask yourself before installation of any SUPAWOOD architectural lining panels (use as a checklist):
Check the environment of the area being measured, e.g. moisture levels, heat, and UV exposure. Will the product specified be appropriate for the application?
> Do I fully understand how the fixing system works?
> Is the fixing system appropriate to the site conditions and application?
> Do I know the Supawood fixing system orientation/ direction?
> Do I know the Timber Grain Direction?
> Do I know my Site Framing Direction (typically runs perpendicular to Supawood fixing system direction)?
> Are Expansion Joints needed for building movement?
> What will the Joint Detail be?
a. If not determined, have I advised it will need to be a 10mm express joint?
b. If it is to be a 3mm butt joint, will tight tolerances be practical for this project?
c. Will all visible surfaces e.g on external corners, have edging?
> Do I need to build returns or bulkheads?
a. Do I know what the corner details will look like for these?
b. Do I know how I will build the framing for these?
> Panel size limitations e.g. Panel weight & materials handling restrictions.
a. Will this affect panel layout or delivery?
b. Have I told SUPAWOOD?
> Are access hatches required?
a. Confirmed size?
> Do we require services cut-outs or services backing boards?
a. Confirmed size?
Prior preparation and planning prevent problems relating to timber acoustic panel installation.
Other general recommendations for SUPAWOOD panel installation
1. Ensure you are working with most current Plans/Shop Drawing. Don’t hesitate to ask for a meeting, confirmed details, or updated drawings. If you experience any reluctance from a builder or contractor to supply the information you need, ask them if they are prepared to risk something being done wrong.
2. Refer Supawood Setting Out instructions. Although setting out can be done after site measurements, you need to at least determine your setting out point, before doing your site measurements. Measuring individual panels can only be done after setting out.
3. Mark on the floor/wall the point you are measuring to/from if this is an arbitrary set-out point, such as a gridline, that has been indicated by the builder or another contractor. (ie. When you are not measuring to an actual physical object). This includes finished ceiling and floor heights, which you can mark on a stud or wall.
4. Note on the SUPAWOOD Shop Drawing the surface you are measuring to/from using the following key:
- Finished Wall Surface - FWS
- Unfinished Wall Surface - UWS
- Concrete floor - CONC
- Door/Window Jamb (inside) - JIS
- Door/Window Jamb (outside) - JOS
- Finished Ceiling Level - FCL
- Finished Floor Level - FFL
- Furring Channel - FC
- Stud (timber or steel)/ purlin - STUD
5. Measure from surface/point to surface/point and write down measurement on Shop Drawing.
6. Give tape/laser measure to someone else to cross check their measurement against yours. If measuring an overall distance as well as broken up measurements within this, you can check by adding them together instead. Check any difference found.
7. If the perimeter of the area you are installing the panels in, is badly out of square or otherwise difficult to measure, we suggest a 20mm perimeter express joint, which will give you more of an install tolerance.
Do SUPAWOOD install?
While SUPAWOOD do not offer installation services, we have an extensitve list of recommended and experienced installers who have successfully delivered projects Australia-wide.
Please contact our sales team for the details of installers in your area.
Reach out to our friendly team today to answer any further questions.
Disclaimer: All the information on this website - www.supawood.com.au - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. Supawood does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (Supawood), is strictly at your own risk. Supawood will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.
From our website, you can visit other websites by following hyperlinks to such external sites. While we strive to provide only quality links to useful and ethical websites, we have no control over the content and nature of these sites. These links to other websites do not imply a recommendation for all the content found on these sites. Site owners and content may change without notice and may occur before we have the opportunity to remove a link that may have failed.
Consent: By using our website, you hereby consent to our disclaimer and agree to its terms.